If you’re looking to harness the curative power of cannabis for your pet, but are concerned about exposing your furry friends to the high-inducing aspect of marijuana, then products rich in cannabidiol (CBD) are a great place to start.
Today, numerous CBD products are available that are derived from hemp plants, a type of cannabis which by US law can only contain trace amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) — the high-inducing compound of cannabis — meaning they have far too little a dose to produce a psychoactive high.
The following describes how CBD-supplemented treats provide better health for your furry, four-legged friends.
1. Produced With Non-Psychoactive Hemp
Much of the cannabis pet food and supplements available on the market today is made using high-CBD hemp plants. With none of the psychoactive qualities that are present in marijuana, CBD pet products can be a safe and beneficial option for your pet.
2. Anxiety And Panic Reduction
Whether a pet is suffering from separation anxiety or noise sensitivity issues, CBD has been shown to be useful for producing a sedating and calming effect very similar to human versions of cannabis products, which can lessen the symptoms of maladies like post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety.
3. A Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Choice
Over the past several decades, the need for pain management and anti-inflammatory medicines for pets has increased. Noninvasive CBD treatments by mouth are a nonsteroidal treatment choice, with none of the potential adverse effects linked with corticosteroid use. Just as with humans, CBD is proving effective at decreasing inflammation and managing pain experienced by animals.
4. Treatment Of Seizure Disorders
Similar to the efficacy of CBD medications used for young children suffering from seizure disorders like Dravet Syndrome, CBD administered to pets has shown great promise when it comes to treating animal seizures. Unlike the pharmaceutical drug phenobarbital — one of the most popular anticonvulsant medications used in the veterinary field and known to be harmful to canine livers — CBD has shown none of the common adverse effects of the drug.
5. Anti-Tumor Properties
Pet owners say that CBD derived from hemp has been known to inhibit the growth of cells in tumors and in some cases has outright killed cancer cells altogether. Treatments containing CBD have also been known to increase the efficacy of conventional cancer treatment medications.
Some Popular CBD Pet Treats
- Pet Releaf Kale and Carrot CBD Hemp Oil Edibites: Containing organic CBD hemp oil, along with organic barley flour, organic coconut oil, agar (Japanese red seaweed), kale, carrots, honey and vitamin C — it’s a superfood option for your pet.
- OmegaPet HempGold: A hemp oil dietary supplement that users say provides pets anxiety relief, calmness and increased joint health.
- Treatibles Pumpkin Grain Free hemp chews: These hemp-based treats also include turmeric, known for its anti-inflammatory properties, and is also a gluten-free product.
- Austin and Kat Dog CBD Biscuits: Included in these handmade hemp biscuits are omegas 3 and 6, probiotics and flax seeds, and come in 2mg and 5mg CBD varieties for either small or large pets.